We love seeing your smile and we want you to love it too! But how do you avoid getting stains on your teeth? What’s the best way to treat discolored teeth and get your sparkling white smile back?
How Do You Avoid Stained Teeth?
Be aware of foods that stain teeth. The main culprits tend to be foods that contain one or more of the following substances:
- Chromogens: compounds with strong pigments that cling to enamel
- Tannins: plant-based compounds that make it easier for stains to stick to teeth
- Acids: these make tooth enamel softer and rougher; so it’s easier for stains to set in
Common stain-causing foods tend to be very acidic. Many darker foods contain high levels of chromogens and even some lighter foods contain tannins that can affect your smile and lead to tooth discoloration.
- Red and white wine
- Soft drinks – both dark and clear
As you can see, it is not realistic to cut out all stain-causing foods, especially when many of them are good for you! Here are a few simple habits to help you enjoy the foods you love while avoiding a dingy smile:
- Sip darker drinks through a straw
- Rinse your mouth after eating
- Limit how often you consume these foods and drinks
- Don’t smoke or use other tobacco products
How Can You Whiten Your Teeth?
If your teeth are looking less than dazzling these days, you may be wondering what’s the best way to remove stains from teeth and rejuvenate your smile this summer.
First and foremost, continue to practice good oral hygiene at home. Brushing and flossing regularly can remove some surface staining and also gets rid of excess particles that can lead to stains.
Second, ask Drs. Davis and Matthews about professional teeth whitening at Excel Dental. A dental teeth whitening treatment tends to be more effective than over-the-counter teeth whitening products.
One of our most popular options involves applying a dental bleach using custom teeth whitening trays that are specifically designed to fit your teeth. How does this treatment work?
- Dr. Davis or Matthews will make an impression of your teeth
- Based on this impression, we will design your custom mouth trays
You will wear the trays for one hour, once a day, while the special bleaching gel works its magic
Ask about it at your upcoming appointment, or contact us at any time to schedule your next visit. We look forward to helping you Smile Healthy this summer and all year long!