Periodontal disease – also known as gum disease –invades the gums and the bone around the teeth. At Excel Dental, we provide periodontal disease treatment.
Periodontal disease begins when plaque builds up and forms a substance called calculus. When calculus is not removed, it will destroy the gums and bone surrounding the teeth. The main gum disease symptoms include red, swollen, and bleeding gums. During the early stages of gum disease, known as gingivitis, symptoms are not painful.
Your at-home dental care and regular visits to Excel Dental help keep gum disease from becoming more serious or recurring. Drs. Davis and Matthews recommend brushing your teeth twice a day, flossing daily, eating a balanced diet, and scheduling regular dental visits for a lifetime of Smiling Healthy®!
Here are some warning signs and gum disease symptoms:
• Unexplained bleeding gums
• Red, tender, or swollen gums
• Gums that have pulled away from the teeth/ loose teeth
• Chronic bad breath
• Loose or separating permanent teeth
• Pus around teeth and gums
• Receding gums
• Changes in your bite
• Changes in the fit of existing partial dentures or bridges
Some factors increase the risk of developing periodontal disease. They are:
• Poor oral hygiene
• Smoking or chewing tobacco
• Grinding teeth
• Crooked teeth that are hard to keep clean
• Pregnancy or Menopause
• Respiratory Disease
• Coronary Artery Disease
• Chronic Stress
• Poor Diet
• Medications, including steroids, certain types of anti-epilepsy drugs, cancer therapy drugs, blood pressure medications, and oral contraceptives
Let Drs. Davis and Matthews know if you discover any gum disease symptoms or if you experience any of the warning signs or risk factors listed above. The sooner you treat it the better. Please call Excel Dental today!