Panoramic dental X-rays are photographs taken of the face and teeth with a mechanism that rotates around the outside of the head. Our panoramic X-rays are all digital, extraoral and easy to perform. Dental X-rays of teeth give us accurate imaging that reveals the following hidden structures:
• Wisdom teeth,
• Preliminary signs of cavities,
• Bone loss
They also allow Drs. Davis and Matthews to view sinus areas, nasal areas and mandibular nerves.
Our Springfield MO dentists generally will take panoramic teeth X-rays at least every five years as recommended by the American Dental Association (ADA). We will also take a panoramic X-ray as it is needed for providing dental care.
Drs. Davis and Matthews often request panoramic dental X-rays for:
• Assessing patients with an extreme gag reflex.
• Evaluating the progression of TMJ.
• Exposing cysts and abnormalities.
• Exposing impacted teeth.
• Exposing jawbone fractures.
• Planning treatment (full and partial dentures, braces and implants).
• Revealing gum disease and cavities.
If you have questions about panoramic dental X-rays, please contact Excel Dental. Talk with Drs. Davis and Matthews prior to your panoramic dental X-ray if you have any concerns or if you suspect that you are pregnant.