Of the different varieties of periodontal disease, all require immediate treatment by a dentist or periodontist to halt the progression and save the gum tissue and bone.
For Diagnosis, Drs. Davis and Matthews will initially assess the whole mouth in order to ascertain the progress of the disease. One of Excel Dental’s experienced hygienists can also diagnose periodontal disease during your visit or professional cleaning. To diagnose this disease a small dental instrument is gently used to measure the space between the tooth and gums. Depending upon the space or pocket depth, amount of bleeding, inflammation, and tooth mobility a diagnosis of periodontal disease may be made.
Following the diagnosis, Drs. Davis and Matthews at Excel Dental are able to treat gum disease by:
• Routine maintenance periodontal cleanings, up to four times a year may be recommended.
• Oral hygiene recommendations include: soft bristled toothbrushes, electronic toothbrushes, special periodontal brushes, fluorides, rinses, and special flossing tools.
• Scaling and root planning
• Teeth polishing
• Antibiotic and antifungal medications
• Dental implants
• Laser bacterial reduction treatments
• At times referral to a periodontist may be needed for tissue and bone grafting or pocket elimination surgery.
Drs. Davis and Matthews want to keep you smiling healthy through preventing the onset, progression and recurrence of periodontal disease. If you have any questions regarding the diagnosis and treatment of periodontal disease, please ask Drs. Davis and Matthews at your next visit or call Excel Dental today to schedule an appointment.